1. Continue to use an infant
car seat that is properly secured at all times. Never place your baby's safety seat in the front seat of a vehicle with a
passenger air bag. The back seat is the safest place for children of any age to ride.
2. Continue to put the baby
to sleep on his or her back or side.
3. Do not use soft bedding (blankets, comforters, quilts, pillows), soft
toys, or toys with loops or string cords.
4. Continue to test the water temperature with your wrist to make sure it
is not hot before bathing the baby. Never leave the baby alone or with a young sibling or pet.
5. Do not leave your
baby alone in a tub of water or on high places such as changing tables, beds, sofas or chairs.
6. Always keep one
hand on the baby.
7. Continue to insist that the baby's environment is free of smoke.
8. If you use a mesh
playpen or portable crib, the weave should have small openings less than 1/4 inch (6 mm). Never leave your baby in a mesh
playpen or crib with the drop-side down.
9. Wash your hands frequently, especially after diaper changes and before
feeding your baby. Wash your baby's toys with soap and water.
10. Never shake or jiggle the baby's head vigorously.
11. Never leave the infant alone in the house or car, even for a minute.
12. Do not place strings or necklaces
about a baby's neck or use a sting to attach a pacifier.
13. Never hold your baby while drinking a hot liquid.
If your home uses gas appliances, install and maintain carbon monoxide detectors.
For more information visit:
Town and Country Pediatrics!
Bright Futures.Org: 0 to 11 months